Skip to main content

Mr Darcy's Influence

Jane Austen is one of the most well known classic romance writers in the history of literature and because of this her novels have become a huge platform for writers and film makers. They have adapted, manipulated and on occasion just followed Austen's lead to create fun and often brilliant books, films and TV shows, and I think it's time I write about my favourites. 

I've decided to write about this subject because I just finished 'Mr Darcy Unleashed' by Teri Wilson. It's was an unreleased proof that I requested without putting much thought into it, but when I started reading I got sucked in to the world of Elizabeth and Darcy once again. Wilson has taken the bare bones of 'Pride and Prejudice' and used the basic plot line and wonderful characters for her own brilliant mix of cute puppies and brooding British aristocrats.

Yes there were things that stuck out as not brilliant about this obvious piece of Chick Lit, and though they weren't big enough to put me off finishing the book or maybe reading Wilson's next book, they do need mentioning. Unfortunately Wilson doesn't seem to use the traditional and famous quotes to her advantage; they are embedded within the text, but they sit in complete juxtaposition to her own form of language. Mixing 21st Century language with Austen's from the early 19th Century can improve certain books, but in this case it just highlights the differences


A good example of mastering Austen's language and how to use it to enhance their writing is P D James's 'Death Come to Pemberley' and how she has expanded on Darcy and Elizabeth's story to bring murder and mystery to a world many people love. Using old prejudices again George Wickham and ghost stories that come from the great gothic tradition of Austen's time, James has given us die hard fans a story that follows on from one we already love. 

And along with Austen's own novels it was also adapted last year and I have to say it improved the standard of the Christmas TV. Matthew Rhys and Anna Maxwell Martin took on the new portrayal of Mr and Mrs Darcy. With love, anger and the wonderful chemistry that we have come to expect from the casting choices of the BBC they work together and sometimes against each other to find out who killed Captain Denny in the woods. In both the book and the adaptation we finally get an answer to who Georgiana ends up with, we are introduced to the Darcy's heir and fall in love with Fitzwilliam all over again. I was a little skeptical when I found out Rhys was stepping into Colin Firth's shoes, but I was wrong and pleasantly surprised at his very brooding and gentlemanly performance. Oh and possibly for the first time in their on screen lives Darcy and Elizabeth finally show what happens behind closed doors.

I should say it's been a very a Austen-y few months for me, I read Jo Baker's 'Longbourn' in early January, and it brought a very Downton Abbey vibe to the servant's quarters of the Bennett's family home. It wasn't my favourite of the novels I've read recently, as I have such romantic views of Elizabeth and Jane that taking on Sarah's below stairs look at the stains on petticoats removes the rose coloured glasses you wear.

The other novel I want to mention before I move on to some of my favourite TV/Movies is the first offering from 'The Austen Project'.The project is teaming up with six major authors of the 21st Century to re-imagine her famous titles. They started with Joanna Trollope writing her own 'Sense and Sensibility'. Bringing the Dashwood family into the world of mobile phones, television and woman needing to work to survive. It was easy to picture the girls struggling with teenage romances, with horrible sister in laws and with losing a life style to which they were accustomed. In some ways it was a success, I feel it could easily start a young teenagers love affair with Austen, but I found it a little cloying in terms of the story it was telling.

Despite this the next 'Austen Project' book to be published is Val McDermid's 'Northanger Abbey', which happens to be one of my favourites of the collection. I'm looking forward to the proof I have requested.

One of my favourite movies as a young girl/teenager was 'Clueless', it was released in 1995 so I was only four then, but when I first watched it I fell in love with the overt 90's feeling of it. It wasn't until years later that I realised it was a retelling of 'Emma', with Cher the young, fashionable, popular high school student who takes it upon herself to set the new girl up and gets tangled up in the world of teenage romance.

It captures the spirit of 'Emma' and has made it into contemporary pop culture in the way that I hope the Austen Project manages. Although I have to say Paul Rudd playing the step brother, Mr Knightly character does help the matter.

The last thing I think needs mentioning is 'Lost in Austen' and Jemima Roper literally climbing into the world of Pride and Prejudice. Swapping places with Elizabeth and trying to become the perfect Regency Lady, rather than the crude, trouser wearing, lip gloss addict she is in our world. Roper's character Amanda Price knows p&p back to front and when the story starts to disintegrate before her eyes she works to put in back into place, forgoing the chance to fall in love with her dream guy...Mr Darcy.

So that's it, a short look at my (slight) obsession with 'Pride and Prejudice' and the rest of Austen's wonderful novel. Every now and again I get caught up in this world and it truly does help me escape, just as it does for many readers around the world. So maybe if you don't already love them you should give it a go and if you already have experienced the pull of following the stories, there are plenty of options out there.

Oh and if you get a chance, visit Lyme Park.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - Bonfire by Krysten Ritter

Bonfire - Krysten Ritter, Cornerstone.  Available - 09/11/17 Price - £14.99 ISBN -9781786331021  Rating - ★★★ So there was a definite pull to read Bonfire because of it being from the mega awesome Krysten Ritter but I was also interested in the premise and the idea of a suspenseful lawyer thriller set in mid America, and as a debut it didn't disappoint. I won't however say it is without faults because my 3* review says that for me.  I found Ritter's characters, setting and overall plot compelling but unfortunately the first half of the book felt like a very slow build to a fast paced end. The classic issue of first books, where the author spends half their word count setting up the story, was definitely apparent but didn't detract too much from my overall enjoyment.  I shall definitely be recommending to all and I really look forward to what comes next, now she's cut her author teeth on Bonfire. Review in thanks for the NetGalley Proof from the Publ

The Grand Explorer

Since my last blog post my life has changed a lot! I moved to Scotland, away from every single friend I had, away from the support network of pizza nights, ridiculous nights in 'Pinks' (local club), away from the safety net of the Waterstones I practically grew up in, away from the cinema which holds some of my favourite memories and also away from my job in Publishing. I made a choice to leave because I wasn't happy, more so than I cared to admit at the time. A year and a half earlier my family had decided to move to Highland Perthshire and yes in the grand scheme of things 426 miles is not that far, but in my case it felt like it. At the point they decided to go I'd spent the last 4 years in and out of surgery, and unfortunately was very dependent on pain medication (thankfully I've broken through that now), so it felt like a million miles away. Yes I had my friends around me and they are some of the best people I know, so at first it didn't feel like a

Shakespeare's Intimacies

So on Tuesday this week I went to see Romeo and Juliet, as performed by the Kenneth Branagh Theatre Company. It had some amazing cast members - Lily James, Richard Madden and the pure brilliance of Derek Jacobi - and it was really enjoyable! In fact I think I had more of a smile on my face coming out, than I did when I saw Cumberbatch in Hamlet last October. But..I don't think it was the most outstanding piece of theatre I've seen. As a play R+J is performed across the world, in schools, in the West End, in gardens with children and in blockbuster films. And not only is it one of the most well known of Shakespeare's plays but it also inspires many piece of storytelling with its story of love through enmity and its tragic (but terribly romantic) ending.