Skip to main content
So, after coming home to find my not so little kitten Flynn in a box, who was fairly unhappy to be disturbed, I was reminded me of one of my favourite picture books . . . My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes by Eve Sutton. This amazing book has a brilliant rhyme scheme, a individual illustration style and the best line from any picture book ever, "The cat from Norway, got stuck in a doorway."


(And after putting it aside yesterday for myself to buy, I ended up having to sell it to a lovely woman who I couldn't deny the chance to have this awesome book.)

Following this I decided to share with you some of my favourite picture books of all time, there are quite a few, so I've had to select a few special one. 


So let's start with the best picture book available for really young ones, and to be honest one I can recite pretty much from cover to cover if necessary. Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet and Allan Ahlberg. When you start this book and discover the gorgeous and fun rhyming scheme where "Mother Hubbard is in the Cellar" and you "Spy Cinderella", you'll never forget this children's classic. The Ahlberg's drawing and writing style is iconic, and we all remember favourites such as Funny Bones and Cops and Robbers, but it will always be Each Peach...  that remains in my top 10. 



Next is the loveliest story of friendship written in the last few years. Oliver Jeffers' Lost and Found tells the story of a boy and a penguin, who discover the age old adage of home being where the heart is. After trying to return the lost Penguin to wherever he came from, the boy discovers maybe he didn't want to be home, instead he wanted a Friend! I am a huge fan of Jeffers and though this is my favourite of the Penguin tales, I also hold a lot of love in my heart for Up and Down, the sequel. 
Splat the Cat by Rob Scotton is a book I've discovered since being a children's bookseller with Waterstones (6/7years now). Splat is an awkward cat who is about to start his first day at school. Like all little ones he has worries about making friends and so he takes his pet mouse with him....was this a good idea....of course not!! Rob Scotton created a lovely new character for a series of picture books, which have been delighting children ever since. The Valentine themed book Love Splat (Yup, it had a very unfortunate name) was especially good.


Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems is a book that no one in their right mind could dislike...Oh how the pigeon wants to drive the bus, but no we mustn't let him. Can you imagine what would happen if we did. Feathers Everywhere!!! Willems has written and illustrated a brilliant interactive book to read with groups of children, who can respond and move along with the story. There is an epicness to this title that cannot be felt until you have experienced it's JOY!

One of the reasons picture books are so popular is that they often hold morals that children need to learn, but they teach them subtly and in a fun way. Shifty McGifty and Slippery Sam by Tracey Corderoy and Steven Lenton, is one of these. Teaching children that stealing brings nothing good to those who do it...what is brilliant is the fact that the characters (all dogs by the way) decide they should be bakers instead. This is a very new book, still on offer at Waterstones, but it is so lovely it definitely deserves a mention. 
There are many more that need mentioning on this blog post, but it can't go on forever, so just like the end of a speech at the Oscars I'm going to quickly run through some of the titles: 
  • The Light House Keepers Lunch
  • The Hungry Caterpillar
  • One Snowy Night
  • Aliens in Underpants
  • Open Very Carefully
  • Winnie the Witch 
  • Meg and Mog
  • Mog the Forgetful Cat
  • The Tiger Who Came to Tea
  • Angelina Ballerina

Well I hope you've enjoyed this insight into my mind. Taran over and out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - Bonfire by Krysten Ritter

Bonfire - Krysten Ritter, Cornerstone.  Available - 09/11/17 Price - £14.99 ISBN -9781786331021  Rating - ★★★ So there was a definite pull to read Bonfire because of it being from the mega awesome Krysten Ritter but I was also interested in the premise and the idea of a suspenseful lawyer thriller set in mid America, and as a debut it didn't disappoint. I won't however say it is without faults because my 3* review says that for me.  I found Ritter's characters, setting and overall plot compelling but unfortunately the first half of the book felt like a very slow build to a fast paced end. The classic issue of first books, where the author spends half their word count setting up the story, was definitely apparent but didn't detract too much from my overall enjoyment.  I shall definitely be recommending to all and I really look forward to what comes next, now she's cut her author teeth on Bonfire. Review in thanks for the NetGalley Proof from the Publ

The Grand Explorer

Since my last blog post my life has changed a lot! I moved to Scotland, away from every single friend I had, away from the support network of pizza nights, ridiculous nights in 'Pinks' (local club), away from the safety net of the Waterstones I practically grew up in, away from the cinema which holds some of my favourite memories and also away from my job in Publishing. I made a choice to leave because I wasn't happy, more so than I cared to admit at the time. A year and a half earlier my family had decided to move to Highland Perthshire and yes in the grand scheme of things 426 miles is not that far, but in my case it felt like it. At the point they decided to go I'd spent the last 4 years in and out of surgery, and unfortunately was very dependent on pain medication (thankfully I've broken through that now), so it felt like a million miles away. Yes I had my friends around me and they are some of the best people I know, so at first it didn't feel like a

Shakespeare's Intimacies

So on Tuesday this week I went to see Romeo and Juliet, as performed by the Kenneth Branagh Theatre Company. It had some amazing cast members - Lily James, Richard Madden and the pure brilliance of Derek Jacobi - and it was really enjoyable! In fact I think I had more of a smile on my face coming out, than I did when I saw Cumberbatch in Hamlet last October. But..I don't think it was the most outstanding piece of theatre I've seen. As a play R+J is performed across the world, in schools, in the West End, in gardens with children and in blockbuster films. And not only is it one of the most well known of Shakespeare's plays but it also inspires many piece of storytelling with its story of love through enmity and its tragic (but terribly romantic) ending.